Since becoming an MP in 2001, Alistair has campaigned on a range of issues important to people in the Northern Isles, such as farming, fishing, improving digital services, offshore oil and gas and development of renewable energy.
Since 2010 Alistair’s work as a Government Minister has helped the Northern Isles. He has supported the renewable energy sector. He is also well-known for his work on human rights and has been an active campaigner for the worldwide abolition of the death penalty.
- Ensured the coastguard station in Shetland was retained and will continue to provide 24-hours a day emergency assistance within the Northern Isles and beyond.
- Secured for a 5 pence-per-litre fuel duty cut for Orkney and Shetland, helping to keep down the cost of fuel in the Isles
- Protected Isles waters by securing the support of two emergency tug vessels for Shetland, through a deal brokered between the UK government and BP.
- Secured £10 million from the UK Treasury to help tackle the Shetland Island Council’s historic housing debt
- Established the setting of an “isles strike price” to help the development of renewable energy generation in the Isles.